WFO's December 2022 release
The December 2022 WFO Plant List and data release is now available.
Summary of changes since to the Taxonomic Backbone since the June 2022 release.
- 71,497 additional names have been added to the WFO provided by IPNI, our Taxonomic Expert Networks (TENs) and content providers.
- 288k records have classification or nomenclatural data improvements, or both.
- Updated Family classifications have been provided by TENs for: Achatocarpaceae, Agdestidaceae, Aizoaceae, Asterpeiaceae, Barbeuiaceae, Begoniaceae, Cactaceae, Dipterocarpaceae, Ericaceae, Fabaceae, Halophytaceae, Physenaceae, Sarcolaenaceae, Sphaerosepalaceae and Styracaceae.
- Curation of Dianthus (Caryophyllaceae)
- Partial curation of Quercus (Fagaceae) and some corrections to Fagaceae
- Corrections to Annonaceae and Musaceae.
- Classifications for Araliaceae, Celastraceae, Chrysobalanaceae, Combretaceae, Lauraceae, Melastomataceae, Myrtaceae and Rubiaceae have been updated to follow WCVP’s November 2022 release.
The data is available in four places.
The WFO Plant List section of the portal https://wfoplantlist.org is the main place to browse the data.
The WFO Plant List API https://list.worldfloraonline.org/. This provides a machine readable version of the data and powers the version on the portal. With this release there have been major changes to the schema behind the API to accommodate the richer data we will have from now on. This should not have changed the existing API but there is a possibility we have introduced minor bugs that will show in the WFO Plant List in the portal. We will be fixing any bugs we find and expanding the API in the New Year.
The Zenodo repository is under this DOI https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7460141. This DOI is the one that should be used to refer to the WFO Plant List data. It will always resolve to the latest version of the data. Each version of the data also has its own DOI should it be necessary to cite a particular version. The December 2022 version’s DOI is https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7467360.
The data has been submitted to Checklist Bank (Catalogue of Life/GBIF) https://www.checklistbank.org/dataset/2004/about and can be browsed and downloaded from there. [Unfortunately the metadata submitted is not displaying in the live portal yet although the data is validated and available. We are working with GBIF to sort this out and hopefully it will be rectified soon. The content of the metadata is the same as that available through Zenodo.]