The TEN formed around the known issues caused by Papaver being paraphyletic. To maintain the genera Meconopsis, Cathcartia & Roemeria we are following the treatments for Grey-Wilson (2014) and Banfi et al. (2022) that goes most of the way to create a monophyletic Papaver and maintains “generic diversity” within Tribe Papaverae.
Curation includes the transfer of species from Papaver Section Argemonidium to Roemeria and new generic name Oreomecon for the placement of the species of Papaver Section Meconella. Note that currently only new names have been published for the well studied European taxa of the section.
Taxonomic data curation for the TEN utilises Rhakhis — the WFO’s taxonomic curation tool.
- Alan Elliott
- Paul Egan
- Wei Xiao
- Christopher Grey-Wilson
- David Rankin
- Fabrizio Bartolucci
- Gabriele Galasso
- Christopher Grey-Wilson (2014). The Genus Meconopsis, the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Wei Xiao and Beryl B. Simpson, (2017). A New Infrageneric Classification of Meconopsis (Papaveraceae) Based on a Well-Supported Molecular Phylogeny, Systematic Biology, 42, 226-233.
- Toshio Yoshida and Hang Sun "Meconopsis lepida and M. psilonomma (Papaveraceae) Rediscovered and Revised," Harvard Papers in Botany 22(2), 157-192, (31 December 2017).
- Toshio Yoshida and Hang Sun "Plants Related to Meconopsis psilonomma (Papaveraceae) in Northern Sichuan and Southeastern Qinghai, China," Harvard Papers in Botany 23(2), 313-331, (31 December 2018).
- Toshio Yoshida "New Taxa of Meconopsis (Papaveraceae) from Wanba, Southwestern Sichuan, China," Harvard Papers in Botany 24(1), 31-39, (30 June 2019).
- Toshio Yoshida, Bo Xu, and David E. Boufford "Revision of Meconopsis integrifolia var. Uniflora (Papaveraceae)," Harvard Papers in Botany 24(1), 41-46, (30 June 2019).
- Toshio Yoshida and Hang Sun "Revision of Meconopsis castanea (Papaveraceae) and Its Allies," Harvard Papers in Botany 24(2), 359-378, (31 December 2019).
- Toshio Yoshida and Hang sun "Revision of Meconopsis Section Forrestianae (Papaveraceae)," Harvard Papers in Botany 24(2), 379-421, (31 December 2019).
- Banfi, E., Bartolucci, F., Tison, J.-M. and Galasso, G. (2022) “A new genus for Papaver sect. Meconella and new combinations in Roemeria; (Papaveraceae) in Europe and the Mediterranean area”, Natural History Sciences, 9(1), pp. 67-72.
The Meconopsis Group was set up in 1998 to study the genus and to promote its cultivation and conservation. Membership is worldwide and open to anyone interested in Meconopsis.
The Group initially set out to clarify the identities and names of the many big blue perennial Meconopsis cultivars being grown in Scottish gardens and further afield. Some of these are probably hybrids, which arose when species from different parts of the Himalaya and China were grown together in close proximity. Now that this task has largely been achieved, the Group is turning its attention to other projects. These include DNA analysis of Meconopsis, the creation of a Species Gallery and a Cultivar Gallery, and this newly updated website to make information more easily accessible.